Hixson Real Estate
About 16,000 residents call Hixson home. As part of the Chattanooga metropolitan area, Hixson folds into a metro population nearing 500,000. This suburb is bordered to the east by the Tennessee River and has all the nature to prove it! Your Hixson Real Estate Guide loves the location relevant to downtown Chattanooga – an easy commute to the southwest will have you downtown in about 20 minutes.
Some of the hottest attributes of Hixson include affordable living, outdoor life, convenient amenities, infrastructure, small-town feel, and the beauty of the seasons.
Neighborhoods, Schools, and Job Market
The current housing market here in Hixson is super strong, relatively low inventory and high demand. One of the big drivers in this area is the cost of living (COL). In general, the COL in Chattanooga metro is below the national by about 10 points. Hixson is perhaps even a tad lower with a median home price at $270K. The market here is affordable for young buyers and for folks wanting to move-up in home ownership. Lots of well-maintained neighborhoods to choose from. The Hixson Real Estate Guide points to some popular “hoods” as: DuPont, Northgate, Big Ridge, and Valleybrook. Northgate and Big Ridge tend to have larger lots and a bit higher price point with median pricing around $335K.
Hixson is part of the Hamilton County School District. This is a strong and innovative district with focus on the following areas:
- Accelerating Student Achievement
- Future Ready Students
- Great Teachers and Leaders
- Engaged Community
- Efficient and Effective Operations
Opportunities for private and parochial education are available in the metro area as well. For furthering education, various community colleges, trade schools, and universities and colleges are within easy reach. It is good to point out that Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, and Knoxville are also just “day trip” distance from Hixson/Chattanooga.
This buzzing community is also part of an innovative infrastructure within the metro area. The fast internet speed, which your Hixson Real Estate Guide professes to not understand – but enjoys – makes tech options big here. Logistic companies, tech-based companies, and some big names (VW, Little Debbie, Blue Cross Blue Shield of TN) call the metro area home. Entrepreneurs and “think tank” folks will love the Hamilton County Business Development INCubator – cool stuff happening … right here … right now!
Local “Play List”
The biggest “playground” is the vast outdoor activities around Hixson! Here are a few of the Hixson Real Estate Guide favorites:
- Valleybrook Golf & Country Club – a semi-private 18-hole course, home of the annual Choo Choo Golf Classic
- Greenway Farms – 180 acres along the banks of the North Chickamauga Creek, managed by the City of Chattanooga, includes a 6-mile loop walking trail, a quarry, paddleboarding, and a great dog park
- Chickamauga Dam – hiking trails, boat ramps, fishing piers, and shelters
- Trails – download the “AllTrails” app for all things hiking, biking, nature-lovers
- So much to explore via the Tennessee River – paddleboard, kayak, swim, find the waterfalls, yada yada!
For indoor “play”, here are some places your Hixson Real Estate Guide enjoys:
- Shopping venues include the regular “cast of characters” like Target, Publix, Home Depot, TJ Maxx, Best Buy, and others … the largest shopping mall in the area is Northgate Mall. For local flair, check out Clements Antiques – in business since 1938 with quality items, auctions, and an international presence; Vinterest Antiques – their tag lines say it best: local – vintage – handmade, “where pickers and artisans gather”!
- Food – what kind of Hixson Real Estate Guide doesn’t mention FOOD?!? Here are some local favorites:
- Rib & Loin dishes out southern style BBQ with all things homemade – sauces and sides to salivate over!
- Lupi’s Pizza Pies – fresh dough and sauces, funky atmosphere, friendly service, and a great beer selection.
- Mimi’s Deli – lots of options, gluten free choices, local done right! Check them out on Facebook.
- Lakeshore Grille – as the name implies, a great view of the water and a terrific menu with appetizers to burgers to salads, to amazing entrees. Does not disappoint!